Mission Statement


Living & Loving Gluten & Casein Free is an informative and creative blog to enlighten those facing the challenges of a Gluten Free Casein Free lifestyle! There are original recipes and other recipes I have acquired along my GFCF journey! With tips, tricks and modifications to enhance your recipes and entice your taste buds. Topics include trips to the grocery store to find the best products available, awareness of ingredient labels, money savings with on-line ordering and understanding and providing answers in overcoming your daily frustrations and challenges. The blog will also take on issues with eating out, family meals, children lunches, traveling and planning for meals on the go. Living & Loving Gluten & Casein Free is here to lend a hand and to demonstrate the most effective and delicious ways to cook GFCF and stay within your budget.

Cheers! Ashley Lyerly



Sunday, October 10, 2010

Stocking your GFCF Pantry


In this Introductory segment I wanted to discuss some of the products I use the most, what they are and where to find them.  This is a good place to start stocking your GFCF kitchen, you can always just start with your first recipe.  Buy the ingredients for that and then work your way to stocking a GFCF kitchen.

For those just starting out, Gluten is a special type of protein that is commonly found in rye, wheat and barley. Therefore, it is found in most types of cereals and in types of bread and many other non-wheat products-for example deli meat can have Gluten. Casein is a protein that is found in dairy and used independently in many foods as a binding agent-for example hot dogs can have casein.  Gluten and casein intolerances are prevalent with people on the autism spectrum and those with Celiac disease; which is a disorder with the inability to tolerate wheat protein (gluten).

All purpose GF flour-Many of uses for this. This is in the Gluten Free aisle at Whole Foods and I have been able to find it at almost every grocery store I have been to in the natural section. I use this in my GFCF Creamed Peas and Corn recipe!

Xanthum gum-I never used this before but I use it all the time now. It is expensive but will last you a long time as  you only need to use very small amounts.  It is used as a thickener and a binder, it gives dough or batter its stickiness that otherwise the gluten would give.  This is in the Gluten Free aisle at Whole foods and I have found in most regular grocery stores in the natural section.  I use this in my GF Flour Tortilla recipe.

Egg Replacer  -I use this in baking for egg substitute. I use applesauce and puddings a lot as egg replacement too. It mimics what eggs do in recipes, but is animal and dairy-free. The box contains the equivalent of over 100 eggs. For each egg called for in a recipe, simply mix 1-1/2 tsp of egg Replacer with 2 tbsp of water thoroughly, and add to batter/mixture. This is in the Gluten Free aisle at Whole foods and I have found in most regular grocery stores in the natural  section.  Read how I utilize this product in my GFCFEF meatballs recipe.

GF Pancake Mix-This is a great product-very versatile, you can find it in the Gluten Free aisle at Whole Foods and in the Natural aisle at your grocery store.  See how I modify the product for my Doughnut hole recipe.

Agave Syrup-It is a natural sweetener from the agave plant, it is like honey but sweeter.  It has a lower glycemic index than sugar, which is a measure of of the effects of carbohydrates on blood sugar levels. This is found in the regular baking aisle at Whole foods and in the Natural section at your regular grocery store. Check out my Agave Mustard Baked Chicken or Soy Nut butter Rice Cereal bar recipe for applications!

Xylitol instead of sugar-it is an all-natural sweetener found in many fruits and vegetables. It tastes and looks like sugar. Because it is all-natural, it differs substantially from artificially created chemical sweeteners like Splenda®, and aspartame. It can be found on line, in the supplement aisle at Whole Foods and at a local grocery that has a larger natural section than most around here. Perfect modification for my GF Tortillas or my Cinnamon Sugar Doughnut Holes.

Canned coconut milk-This is a great casein free alternative for many applications-it is dairy free, lactose free, soy free-for those that have soy intolerance, gluten free and certified vegan.  It is really thick and can substitute for cream.  Plus it is packed with vitamins, minerals. You can find it in the ethnic section at all grocery stores. Several recipes for this one; Spiral Rice Pasta with peas, ham and Casein Free Alfredo Sauce and Mini Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Chocolate Sauce and Coconut Whipped Cream!

Earth Balance Soy butter-I have only found at Whole Goods, they also have soy butter sticks for baking and soy free butter if you have a soy allergy. Check out different applications in my Casein Free Alfredo aSauce, Agave Mustard Baked Chicken and Mini Chocolate Cake.

Casein free soy cheese-I buy this at our regular grocery store in the refrigerated soy section.  This is one cheese that Mac likes that is casein free!  You have to always check labels, rice,  almond or soy cheese can all have casein in them unless they say they are vegan casein free. So check the labels. 

Vegan cream cheese and sour cream-Two other staples in our GFCF diets.  They can be found in the refrigerated soy section at both Whole Foods and your regular grocery store.  See my Sweet Sweet Mashed Potatoes recipe to see both of the these used and my creamy Vegan Ranch dip/dressing recipe.
I hope this gives you a good start on your GFCF journey!  Check out all of my recipes including breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, drinks and dessert!


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment